Bookmaking Urge

A few years back, I took a community ed class and learned how to make a "basic" book. I have loved the process ever since and have gone on to make a few more and ventured from there to papermaking. I have never blocked out a lot of time to concentrate and get "really good" at it. Instead, once a year I will sit down and make a journal or book, or spend an afternoon making paper. The problem with doing something like that so sporadically is that I always have to spend hours going over the steps to get started. Well, I have a small pile of beautiful pink, green, white and blue homemade paper and I have been reviewing bookbinding instructions, so I am going to try and dedicate these Fall months to bookmaking! I'm a funny duck, I am fascinated by the love I have for paper (and I passed that on to my daughter, who grew up wanting to sell tickets, or take orders, play office...anything to do with paper!). Seriously, I will find a sale on blank notebooks or on paper and I will buy them and then just "look" at them!! Crazy!! Actually there was a time that I did the same thing with chocolate....I would buy it, put it in a drawer and leave it....I felt good just knowing it was there!! I digress.............back to bookmaking. Cutting and covering the boards for covers, selecting paper for the body, gluing , cutting, pressing, sewing...it really is time consuming but to end up with this book that you created and put together....well, it is a joy. BUT, I never write in them!! I think am going to start giving them away....also, I do want to start journaling, but I've been saying that for years now, so whether it will happen or not is another thing. I understand the whole catharsis feel associated with journaling and I believe it, yet I really hesitate at putting my thoughts down on paper......I wonder why? I do, to some degree, here on the blog....and maybe that is enough for now. Anyway, art books and travel journals also interest me so I may put my energy into one of those and see what happens...maybe I need to stick to the "creation" of the book, and leave the "writing" to another time. Well, those are the thoughts for today......

Comments

Anonymous said…
Book making sounds like a wonderful thing to do. I hope you go for it and take lots of photos of the process and the finished product, and make instructions to show and teach other who might be interested.

Popular Posts