Summer Bloom

Summer is coming to a close.....it's a sad fact, but it's true and you can feel it, at times, in the air already. It rained a few days ago and the smell it created in the woods was no longer that crisp smell of Spring but the heavier, engulfing, woodsy smell of crushed leaves and the decomposition of everything that has fallen on the ground in the last 5 months. I actually love that smell.....been a Northerner too long not to anticipate the colder months coming. That anticipation quickly turns to dread after a few days of below zero weather, but whatever....! So, here is a photo of the loveliest of flowers that showed up this summer. I bought this at one of the greenhouses and quickly lost the tag so I don't even know what it is...although it must be in the Zinnia family. Lots of leaves all summer long and then slowly this tall, green stalk unfurled itself and opened up to this beauty. One flower only, and since taking the picture, it is slowly fading and, happily, I see another stalk starting its way up through the leaves, so hopefully I will get to enjoy another! I can really get lost in the intricacies of any and every flower......I get a kick out of myself when I find myself enjoying "little" things...I think I can thank my mom for that ability.

Comments

Unknown said…
This kind of reminds me of a gerber daisy? A little>
Cheryl A said…
Katy, I am so impressed that you know what a Gerber Daisy is!!! See, whether you like it or not, the flower gene is coming out in you!! Thanks for checking in on my blog!! xxxooo
Anonymous said…
Lovely photo! I love flower, can't imagine who wouldn't love them. I can feel the change in seasons also. There is a cool crispness laced in the past few mornings but then it heats up again. I'm glad to have discovered your blog through your visit to mine. Keep up to good work.
Cheryl A said…
Ingrid, Thanks for taking a look at my blog; I am soooo new to this. I am having fun though and I figure I can only get better, or at least have some fun trying! Thanks again!

Popular Posts